Saturday, November 5, 2016

Balsamic-Roasted Brussels Sprouts

A few years ago for Thanksgiving, Michelle the Cook brought over roasted Brussels sprouts. Man, they were so good. And it's taken me, literally, a few years to find a good recipe for them. But it finally happened: Balsamic-Roasted Brussels Sprouts by Ina Garten.

Full disclosure here: I think Ina's show, the Barefoot Contessa, is a bit obnoxious for some reason. I don't know if it's her or the show's format, but I don't really care for it. That being said, I have good memories of watching her on TV with my mom when I was last with her. we watched a lot of Food Network those two weeks.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half through the core
  • 4 ounces pancetta, 1/4-inch-diced--I didn't have any pancetta.
  • 1/4 cup good olive oil
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon syrupy balsamic vinegar
Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the Brussels sprouts on a sheet pan, including some of the loose leaves, which get crispy when they're roasted. Add the pancetta, olive oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, toss with your hands, and spread out in a single layer. Roast the Brussels sprouts for 20 to 30 minutes, until they're tender and nicely browned and the pancetta is cooked. Toss once during roasting. Remove from the oven, drizzle immediately with the balsamic vinegar, and toss again. Taste for seasonings, and serve hot.

Damn it, that Ina Garten is good! :) This turned out as good as my friend's recipe did, and I believe she had bacon in her sprouts.

My husband doesn't like Brussels sprouts so I had leftovers and actually finished them off for breakfast today while I was waiting for the cable guy to show up. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment