Sunday, December 4, 2016

BBQ Turkey Cornbread Pie Recipe

I was poking around the internet the other day and came across this recipe, linked back to People. It's for BBQ Turkey Cornbread Pie. I finally got around to making it tonight, with leftover Thanksgiving turkey.

2 ½ cups shredded leftover turkey
1 cup BBQ Sauce
½ cup water
1 8.5 oz. package corn muffin mix
1 egg
¾ cup water
¼ cup sliced scallions -- left these out, as I didn't have any.

1. Preheat the oven to 375°. In a bowl, toss shredded turkey with BBQ sauce and water and stir to combine. Transfer to a casserole dish and spread in an even layer.
2. In another bowl, stir together corn muffin mix, egg, scallions, and water.
3. Spread on top the corn muffin mixture on top of turkey and bake until golden, about 30 minutes.

In all honesty, I wasn't really impressed with this. I think I should have cut the BBQ sauce to 1/2 cup and the first bit of water to 1/3 cup. I used Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, and I don't have a favorite so I buy something different every time, but it seemed too strong here.

I also think I should have used 2 boxes of corn bread mix instead of 1, because the topping was so thin in my 9"x9" pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment