Saturday, December 31, 2016

Got a 14 Point Buck

I went to Wal-Mart the other day to scope out the marked down Christmas decorations. There wasn't a lot left, but I spotted a small silver glittered deer head. It was made of plastic and had a small metal loop on the back of the neck for hanging.

All of a sudden, I knew it had to come home with me.

I got a scrap of pine from the garage, and cut it into an oval. Shane routed the edges for me, and I did a quick sanding job on it. Then I stained it with the same stuff I bought for Mom's china cabinet. I even did three coats of clear paint on it. The wood itself, like I said, was scrap, so it was a little rough, but that was okay.

I used some epoxy and screws to attach the deer and plaque together, and added a saw tooth picture hanger on the back.


This is going to be a Christmas decoration for next year, and it's actually pretty small, as you can see by the four slot toaster behind it.

I'm not sure why I went with a plaque that size, because I really could have gone smaller than that, but I like this little project. There were some errors I made while making it that were easily fixed.

For one, I actually tried attaching the head with the hanger upside down on the back. And the epoxy alone wasn't enough to hold everything together, so that's why I had add the screws. That was Shane's idea and a good one. I drilled the holes through the back of the wood, epoxied the head on again, and held the two pieces together while Shane added the screws. I had to go with 1.25" long screws in order to get through the wood and the plastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment