Monday, December 12, 2016

Made a Dragon Scoodie

I started making a scoodie last night, with the intention of keeping it for myself. It was based on Niftynnider's pattern, which I've used before.

I wasn't really paying attention to the length of my starter chain, so it ended up being fairly sizeable. It was really just a free form kind of thing, made while watching Craig Ferguson and Muppet videos onYou Tube. It's 2 strands of Red Heart Super Saver in Frosty Green (#0661), with 2 rows of blue together, on a J sized hook. One of the blues is an unknown yarn. The other is Yarn Bee Airy (#26).

I was about half way through it, but it wasn't speaking to me, beyond the blue and green combo. I ended up talking to Nicole the Knitter that night, and she mentioned a dragon scoodie would be her choice.

Bingo.

That solved it for me right there. After finishing the scoodie, I added green ears from this Yoda hat pattern and whipstitched them to the sides. I actually did a series of SC up the back of the head and down the middle, stopping at the edge. This became a foundation row, of sorts, for the dragon "spikes." I crocheted a series of triangles, starting at the front, that grew bigger as they went. I went back over them with the Airy yarn to outline them.

Having that foundation row close up the back a little bit does make the scoodie fit a little more snugly than it would otherwise, but I think it's going to be good.

The last part was to crochet some random circles in the unknown blue, in different sizes. I placed them in odd numbers randomly over the hood. I'm not sure why. They don't look like scales. Maybe they're dragon warts.

BTW, it's really freaking hard to take selfies from a profile POV.



This is a shitty picture, but you can see there's a lot of room in the bottom front of the scoodie. I think it's going to be very warm though. I'm hoping to drop it off tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment