On June 21, Jesse Scaccia, a columnist for The Virginian-Pilot, wrote an article called, “50 ways to fall in love with Norfolk this summer.” It’s actually a two-part article, but the second half hasn’t been published yet. To me, this sounded like a challenge to complete a mini, local bucket list. Challenge accepted, Hampton Roads!
I’m going to include the text of the article here, because you’re only allowed a few free articles per month from Pilot online. And if you’ve already used them up, at least you can still see it here.
It’s happy season in Hampton Roads – summer.
Here are 50 ways – in two installments – to ensure you find joy in our sweet city on the water.
Save this article. Tape it to the fridge. See how many you can get through and notice how light you feel come fall.
1. Watch the diverse downtown set go by from a window seat at Field Guide while enjoying one of their “adult slushies.”
3. Catch one of Norfolk’s epic sunsets from the Hague footbridge and instantly fall in love.
4. Dance the night away at Latin social nights at the Mambo Room – because summer is the time for movement and feeling sexy. Salsa until 1 a.m. Fridays.
5. Play with one of the adoptable pups at the Norfolk SPCA. They sure would love a walk – it gets lonely inside.
6. Kick back and enjoy live music from some of the best bands in Tidewater at the Hermitage Museum’s Sunsets on the River. What a view, I’m telling ya.
7. Wear your angel wings, kilt, glitter, face paint and anything else that will make you feel like you’re in a Shakespearean wonderland for one of the most magical weekends of the year – the Mid-Summer Fantasy Festival in Town Point Park, July 29 – 31.
8. Travel back to the ‘80s. Generic Theater is putting on “Heathers: The Musical” this summer.
10. Party on the streets of Norfolk at First Fridays downtown.
12. Think healthy and refreshing eating with one of the acai bowls at Zeke’s. Just $5 for a small.
13. Take the ferry to Portsmouth and
16. Celebrate Hogwarts-style. At the end of July, there’s a birthday party for Harry Potter at O’Connor Brewery. (I know there’s some craft beer and Harry lover out there who just squealed with delight.)
18. Catch The Wave, Norfolk’s come-as-you-are summertime dance party. If you love to dance and you’ve never spent a night at The Wave, I have just one word for you: Girl.
19. Get around town in style: the downtown water taxi takes off from Mile Marker Zero on the Elizabeth River.
22. Add some laughs by taking the improv 101 class at the Push Comedy Theater.
23. Feast at Great American Picnic & Fireworks on July 4th.
25. Get sweaty at a punk show at Charlie’s in Riverview, or
Check back next week for Part 2. What did Jesse miss? Email him.