Sunday, February 5, 2017

We Have A New Family Member


Meet Chief! This little wiener came home with us last night.

As much as it shocked me, I've been finding myself longing for another dog, ever since we had to have Cujo put to sleep last year. Shit, I'm starting to get teary eyed again just thinking about my boy and how he's no longer here with us. 

As it turned out, Shane was wanting another dog too. But the reason it shocked me, is because I was so resistant to ever having another cat after Dixie was put to sleep. She was my heart and my security blanket in life. While I do love Orion, she'll never be a replacement for Dixie.

And little Chief here will never be a replacement for Cujo. But all of a sudden, the grief I feel for Dixie and Cujo feels a lot like shame for enjoying the new family members.

Whooo, I'm not sure where this is all coming from. I just had to get up and get a tissue because I was full on crying for a second there. I keep telling Shane I shouldn't have dogs and cats for pets, because I get waaaaaaaaaay too attached to them.

Anyway, onto the good things here. Shane and I have both been looking for pug. He was perfectly willing to spend a grand or more on a dog for us, thinking about a dog from a breeder so we'd know what the temperament would be like and hopefully not have to worry about behavioral issues. He's still not sold on the idea of dog breed specific rescue, even though neither one of us give a shit about lineage or paperwork.

I couldn't do that in good conscious. But the sad thing is that the rescues out here for pugs are just as expensive as a breeder dog. And between our collective back issues, I knew we needed a smaller dog this time. Wheelbarrowing poor Cujo at the end of his life was hard to physically do. Shane just wanted something different so we weren't dwelling on Cujo. Like that's going to happen!

Named by Shane, Chief is 7 weeks old and he comes from an oops litter where he had 8 brothers and sisters. (If this had been a fawn or sable colored pug, he would have been named Frank, from "Men in Black." But with this little black face and expressive eyes, I hadn't been struck with a name for him.) When we got to the family's home yesterday, there were four puppies left, and the husband thought they'd all be gone by tonight. They owned Mama Pug, and the wife's brother owned Papa Pug.

Breeder or no, this was a litter and an adoption/purchase I could get behind. We met Mama and her remaining four pups. They all looked healthy and seemed happy. For some reason, I was drawn to Chief here. We wanted a male anyway, but this little guy seemed the most curious. The wife said he was the most independent of the remaining three males.

He has no papers, other than the trail of vet work that we'll create for him. All we have is a verbal promise that he's a pure bred pug, and that Mama was able to deliver all of the pups on her own. A lot of English Bulldogs and some pugs have to be delivered by C-sectio because their heads are so big that the mothers can't do it on their own. That, along with the oops factor, is the reason they weren't charging an arm and a leg for the pups.

Chief slept through his first night here pretty well. He did cry in the living room when we went to bed, so we turned on a light in the other bedroom that shone in, and I actually slept on the couch out there, so he could see he wasn't alone. Other than that, he slept through the night like a champ. But as he's a little guy that's teething, we'll see how it goes in the future for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment